Saturday 15 September 2007

Lazy Day on the River

One of the great things about my job is that I get to laze on the river from time to time.  We have not had much of a summer, but Wednesday 5th September was a morning of promise that did not fail to let us down for the whole day.

I run various clubs for people with disabilities and spend quite a lot of time with these particular club members. As well us having problems in common with mobility, they are a fun group and each year organise a trip for us all on the Kennet and Avon Canal.  This year I also took my other half, using the rational that he was recurperating from his op, so met the trips criteria.  The truth was that I just did not want to leave him all day, and this trip is so lovely that I did not want him to miss out.

So 16 of us set out at 10.00 am in the morning, and my first job of the day (after all the shopping) was to make sure everyone was settled with morning tea/coffee and a good supply of biscuits.  This trip is never very diabetic friendly, although all those who are diabetic assure me that they will be good the next day.  The boat that we us is hired by the local Lions club for a week and is fully adapted for people with disabilities.  The take one charitable group per day out, with the crew members giving up time from work take the boat through the locks.

The highlight for most people is travelling through the locks, some of which you can see from the photos and I will put the rest on a bit later - for some reason I could only put 8 on at a time?

As you can see the day was gorgeous - not too hot, but plenty of sunshine.  What I love is the reflections into the water.  I am not sure how I got this photo effect and I am impressed by the fact it looks as though the river is moving, like a movie, rather than still photos.

 

More to come

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

 Sounds like you had a wonderful day.   I love the way the water looks like it moving.

                   Julie

Anonymous said...

That sounded like an idyllic day out Mary.  Bryan and I recently had a short tootle along the Lancaster Canal to reconoitre it and its beautiful!  So tranquil in places.  Your lovely pictures have set the seed, yet again, that we must have a ride on a canal boat soon!
Thank you for today's entry.   Lovely!

Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

The pictures are lovely, how wonderful of you to help those with disabilities enjoy a wonderful day.
Lisa