Saturday 15 September 2007

Lazy day on the river 4

At last I have found how to upload more that 8 pictures at a time, so this is the last of the ones I took on our canal trip.

Part of my task when we have these outings is to provide lunch for people.  This year I decided to have jacket potatoes, so at 7.30 am in the morning I had potatoes in the microwave to part cook them through, and then they could go into the oven on the boat to brown and crisp them.  For fillings we had cheese, tuna/mayonnaise, coleslaw and beans, with side salad of lettuce, cucumber and tomato.  They had started with melon wedges and finished with a variety of cheesecakes.  All washed down with a variety of fruit juices.

No sooner had the washing up party finished their duties after lunch, then it was time for afternoon tea and even more biscuits (as I had forgotten to buy cakes for the afternoon).

The sun came out during the day but it never got too hot, although some of us showed evidence of the sun rays (even through cloud) having pinked up our skin. I am one of those unfortunate people who go red, blister and then revert to being pale skinned.

As we had been held up at the first lock our journey had been delayed, with further delays being caused by the horse drawn barges, so to our delight we ended up spending two additional hours on the canal, meaning everyone finally went home happy and tired.

Now that I have managed to work out how to get pictures here I will start to go back through our adventures in our 'Grand Tour of America' and start to post pictures for you all to see.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures.  It looks so pretty.

                  Julie

Anonymous said...

Looks as if you had a lovely day.  I have often thought that it would be wonderful to take a holiday on the canals with a boat.
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, I enjoyed the pictures.
Lisa