Friday 23 November 2007

Knee operation

Had operaton on Tuesday, and am now just about out of the anaesthetic fug - or the pain killer fug, or both.  Have done an awful lot of sleeping - most of Tuesday after the op, all day Wednesday, half of yesterday and half of today, that includes sleeping at night as well. They were going to keep me in overnight, but as my blood pressure and sugar levels more or less behaved themselves I was back home by mid afternoon on Tuesday, after being the first on the operating list at 8.00 am.
 
They had a good rummage around and cleaned out lots of debris, they also scrapped off some bone that was growing where it should not have been.  They cannot guarantee that I will be in any less pain than I was before, but they now know that I can get away with a partial knee replacement.  Apparently your knee is in three sections, and I need the inner section replaced, although they want to leave it for as long as possible due to my tender years lol. I have a follow up appointment at the end of December and physio next week.
 
They have given me exercises to do, but most are still painful or difficult at the moment.  I managed a few steps today without the crutches, and have done the stairs for a 2nd time - up to now once down I stay down until bedtime, but as my laptop would not connect to the internet, had to come up again.  I think I will go down again for the evening.
 
My challenge now is to lose some weight - I read that 25% of replacement operations fail due to being overweight, which I most definately am, and the other is to exercise more to build up the knee so that it will be in better shape for the next operation.
   
 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you, just reading about this operation gave me the shivers...I am such a baby when it comes to things like this.  On a brighter note, it is over now and let the healing begin.  Take care of yourself, I am Praying you recover just fine & dandy.
Lisa